Sunflower Halved Hypersaturated

Sunflower Halved Hypersaturated
Yes this is a real sunflower I took this shot a couple of summers ago in the garden outside my work window

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Father's Day Recap

In my family we have a tradition of preparing the birthday, anniversary, father's or mother's day meal of that particular persons choosing. Sooo when I asked my father what he would like to eat for Father's Day his unsurprising answer - a T-bone! I then became faced with options, where exactly was I going to by this T-bone? He started talking about the T-bones he saw at Costco they were 3 for $30, but I didn't want to go to Costco to get a steak. No offense to Costco, but I wanted a prime cut of beef as this was his only request and I wanted to find the best steak I could, I am a daddy's girl after all...so we needed QUALITY!! He then started talking about the Giant and how they may have some, but have any of you seen the steak selection at Giant? The meat is sooo then and the price is sooo high I knew I wasn't going there either. So I guess you're wondering where did I end up...well I went to my favorite store - Whole Foods Market! I chose Whole Foods for a number of reasons...


  1. I know they have a butcher in the store

  2. They have a huge selection of meats

  3. I could get prime quality beef

  4. I ♥ Whole Foods

When I arrived at the meat counter, they were 2 options of T-bones. They had Prime T-bones and the had Dry-aged Prime T-bones. Unclear of what exactly dry-aged meant I had to ask the guy to explain the difference and in his opinion which would yield a better taste. When I think dry-aged I'm thinking like drying the meat as in making beef jerky which is apparently the wrong impression. I ended up getting the dry-aged T-bone which was actually a porterhouse because there was more meat on the little side than what a T-bone cut would allow. That steak was $31...yes one steak $31...it was $19.99 a pound, but it's Father's Day so what the hay and as the worker at Whole Foods said..."Nothing says love like a good piece of beef!" For the rest of us, I prepared shrimp, scallops and broccoli over linguine with alfredo sauce. I took a stab at searing scallops and I think for the first try they turned out well, but I ended up just sauteing the rest of them.

Here's the proof!

These are the results of my attempt to sear scallops

This is the T-bone (actually porterhouse) prior to cooking, with the seasonings rubbed in

The results after being broiled

The shrimp, scallop and broccoli linguine with alfredo sauce

0 comments: